Monday, October 18, 2010

Zumba Fan

For a couple of years now, I have worked in a office managing apartments for half the day. When I come back home, between 1:00 and 5:00, whenever I get done with what I needed to do for that day, I eat, rest for a minute if possible, then kids get home, I do laundry, pay bills, make dinner, fix the house a little bit, take kids to classes, go to bank, do grocery shopping, read with the kids, etc... Those things that every mother does, I am sure. Needless to say, I am out of shape, waaaaaaaaayyyy out of shape, because even though I don't stop all day, and I am pooped by the end of the day, it isn't cardio or strength training, is it?

So, the other day I came across Zumba. Zumba is a dance workout. They use salsa, samba, pop and many other types of music. Obviously, most aerobic classes uses some kind of music, but what interested me was the fact that most of the moves ARE dance moves, and I LOVE to DANCE. So, I researched online for classes in my area and found classes in a gym a block away from my house. Who would of thought!! And the great thing about it is that they fit perfectly with my schedule. Yeppieeeeeee!!! This is a small town and there is not a lot of options and I always seemed to find the classes I wanted...at VERY inconvenient times.

The first class I went to last Wednesday, I thought I was going to die. OK, maybe not die, but I really had to stop for quite a while and put my head between my legs (Ya, don't laugh), because I felt like I was going to pass out and if you know me, I am 5'10" and not skinny. Can you imagine having to lift me up? It would have been soooooo embarassing. I thought my heart was going to come out my mouth. My legs were so weak after the first 15 minutes, that dance, the part I actually like, was not possible. They just would not do what I wanted them to do. I did see that, when I did get in shape, it would probably something I would keep doing because I enjoyed it.

Now I am happy to report that I am on my third class, and I DID NOT FAINT, neither did I stop at all during the whole class. I am still not jumping as high or squatting as low, or moving as fast as the teacher, DUH!!! but I did tons better.

Like many other goals I have started and a month later they were out the window, this one might have the same fate...I have a problem with constancy, but I will try once again. My goal is to feel better, firm up a bit and if possible lose a few pounds. Will I be able to maintain my goal, will I quit a little while from now? Ohhhhhh the suspense!!!!!  Ohhhhhh, does anyone care???

Well, my point to all this rambling is that...if you like to dance and need to get in shape, or stay in shape, try Zumba. It's fun.

Here's a sample class: Zumba Class

(This has been a unpaid advertisement for Zumba. If you are in any way affiliated to Zumba and would like to pay me money to keep rambling on about how great Zumba is, please contact me ASAP!!! I could use the money for Lipo if this thing does not work. Thanks for your time. )


 

2 comments:

  1. Hahah, I love Zumba, however I got really mad at the teacher for doing the Samba all wrong. But whatever it was still fun, Enjoy, and stick with it. Not that I stick with anything, but some encouragement is always nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my view on Zumba is that I take it for what it is...an aerobics class...with dancing. The steps may not be done "right" but I'm moving, which is saying a lot. I am still going strong, quite surprising for me. I have already lost 3 cm on my waist and 2 on my chest. I'm trying not to worry so much about weight, but focus on size and health.
    Thanks for the encouragement...it IS ALWAYS nice!!! :)

    ReplyDelete